Just published! The Cambridge Companion to Women's Writing in the Romantic Period, edited by me, with essays from 14 amazing contributors. (With thanks to Linda Bree of Cambridge UP for dreaming this book up and then seeing it to the finish line.) Check it out:
1. Poetry Stephen C. Behrendt
2. Fiction Anthony Mandal
3. Drama Catherine Burroughs
4. Essays and political writing Anne Mellor
5. The gothic Angela Wright
6. Travel writing Elizabeth A. Fay
7. History writing and antiquarianism Crystal Lake
8. Writing in wartime Catherine Ingrassia
9. Enlightenment feminism and the bluestocking legacy Caroline Franklin
10. The global context Deirdre Coleman
11. Social, familial, and literary networks Julie A. Carlson
12. The economics of female authorship Jacqueline M. Labbe
13. Age and aging Devoney Looser
14. National identities and regional affiliations Fiona Price
15. Sexualities Jillian Heydt-Stevenson
Guide to further reading.
George Justice and I were privileged to serve as co-presidents of the Samuel Johnson Society of the Central Region, hosting its annual meeting at Arizona State University on March 6-7. The conference featured ten fabulous papers by junior and senior scholars, as well as a stunning keynote address, "Johnson's Preface to Shakespeare at 250," by Prof. Joseph Roach of Yale University. Thank you to all who presented, participated, attended, and supported the conference. See you next year at Northwestern University, with our president, Prof. Vivasvan Soni.
Prof. Devoney Looser (Known to a few as Stone Cold Jane Austen).
©2017 Devoney Looser, Dept. of English, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287